Up Coming Reviews


Currently Reading

Coming Soon

Coming Soon

Coming Soon

Coming Soon

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

'Afterlife' by Claudia Gray

What's this one about?

Bianca and Lucas have always believed they could endure anything to be together. When a twist of fate not only transforms Bianca into a wraith but also turns Lucas into a vampire—the very creature he spent his life hunting—they are left reeling.

Haunted by his powerful need to kill, Lucas can turn to only one place for help . . . Evernight Academy. Bianca is determined to remain with him. But with the vampire leader of Evernight waging a war against wraiths, her former home has become the most dangerous place she could be, despite the new powers her ghostly transformation has given her.


A battle between wraiths and vampires looms, and Bianca and Lucas face a terrifying new reality. They've overcome every obstacle life has thrown at them, but is their love strong enough to survive the challenges afterlife?

What did I think?

I started reading Claudia Gray’s Evernight series when I came across the first book ‘Evernight’ at my local book store. It’s considered a YA read so I was a little hesitant at first about reading it, but I was looking for another vampire themed story to read (after Twilight) so I left the store with ‘Evernight’ in hand, and have continued to read, and enjoy each book as the series progressed.

With the jaw-dropping ending in ‘Hourglass’ I was worried about where Gray was headed with main characters; Bianca and Lucas in Afterlife. One of the things I love about Gray--besides her out of the box creativity and her fearlessness--is her lead in from one chapter to the next. It always seems by the end of the chapter I’m ready to plunge right into the next. With ‘Afterlife’ however I didn’t find the chapters as enthralling as her previous books. She still managed to have great lead ins, and that is what definitely pulled me through this story.

I’m not sure what it was about ‘Afterlife’ but I wouldn’t consider it one of the best in the Evernight series. Why do I feel this way? I can’t put my finger on it exactly. I’d hazard a guess that it was because I wasn’t a big fan of the wraith component of the story (which is a BIG part of this one). I also got annoyed that once again Bianca and Lucas are on different playing fields--without giving anything away I just don’t see how its going to work.

Once again truly enjoyed the character Balthazar. In my opinion he is the most charismatic character in this series, yes, even compared to Lucas. I’m all about Balthazar and I’m really looking forward to the spin off series featuring him and a debute character in ‘Afterlife’ Skye Tierney--hurry up March 2012. Also with this new book I’m hoping Charity makes another appearance, I wished there was a little more of her in ‘Afterlife.’ I know she’s evil, but I really enjoy her character, and the wake she leaves behind. ‘Afterlife’ was still a good read, and if you haven’t read this series, I still highly recommend it. The Evernight series, is an easy, enjoyable read with some great Gray twists. Of course as always start with the first book ‘Evernight’ and go from there.

How many stars?















Published by HarperTeen
ISBN: 0061284424 (ISBN13: 9780061284427)
Hardcover: 360 pages

No comments:

Post a Comment