Up Coming Reviews


Currently Reading

Coming Soon

Coming Soon

Coming Soon

Coming Soon

Friday, June 17, 2011

'Live Wire' by Harlan Coben

What's this one about?
Myron Bolitar has always dreamed about the voluptuous femme fatale walking into his office and asking for help. The woman standing in his doorway has killer curves, all right: She's eight months pregnant, which kind of ruins the fantasy. Former tennis star Suzze T and her rock star husband, Lex, are both clients, and over the years Myron has negotiated his share of contracts for the power pair. But now Lex has disappeared and a very pregnant Suzze is in tears, fearing the online rumors questioning the baby's paternity have driven away the man she swears is the child's father. 
For Myron, questions of fatherhood couldn't hit closer to home, as his dad, Al, clings to life, and the brother who abandoned the family years ago resurfaces-with danger following close behind. Myron is soon forced to confront deep secrets in Suzze's past, his family's mortality-and beforeLive Wire is over, his own.


What did I think?

There is nothing better than being brought back into Myron and Win’s world! It’s like getting reacquainted with old friends you don’t realize how much you missed until you’re together again and their charm and smart ass banter assaults your senses!

I don’t know how Coben does it, but he definitely has the gift of the what I will call the “one line hook and sinker.” With the opening line in ‘Live Wire’ I knew I was a goner and my late day/late night reading sessions were about to begin. At times I wish his craft wasn't so spell bounding because once I'm finished his books, I’m ultimately left tapping my foot until the next one is released--which inevitably, I will once again fall victim to his "one line hook and sinkers." Oh the vicious web he spins!

‘Live Wire’ was an intense journey from beginning to end, and when I thought I had it all figured out, all I can say is...uh hum.. no I didn't. I may have pieced together some of the plot, but definitely not all of it. Coben doesn’t get lost in internal dialogue, or overly describing and dramatizing certain scenes. His writing style coupled with the array of different characters, and witty banter keeps the reader interest, and pushes the story forward.

The Bolitar family are not only comprised of 4 individual characters but the family as a unit is its own character. I love how even as Myron ages he still struggles to see his Mom and Dad as Al and Ellen Bolitar, two people that have their own set of secrets and their own regrets. Since Myron idolizes his parents so much, it’s interesting to read how Coben consistently tries to humanize them to their son. The scenes between Myron and his parents are some of my favorite, and can really pull at my heart strings.

With the conclusion of ‘Live Wire’ I’m truly fascinated to see where Coben is going to take this series. He’s already spinning off a YA series from Myron’s nephew Mickey, but what will be in store for Myron, Win, Esperanza? With a conclusion like that one, I’m eager to see.

How many stars?



[Harlan Coben's Website]















Published by Dutton Adult
ISBN: 0525952063 (ISBN13: 9780525952060)
Hardcover: 384 pages


No comments:

Post a Comment