Up Coming Reviews


Currently Reading

Coming Soon

Coming Soon

Coming Soon

Coming Soon

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Die for You by Lisa Unger

What's this one about?
Isabel Raine thought she had everything–a successful career, a supportive family, and a happy marriage to the man she loved. Then one ordinary morning, her husband, Marcus, picks up his briefcase, kisses her good-bye, and simply vanishes.

That day, all her calls to him go straight to voice mail; the messages she leaves at his office go unreturned, too. Panicking after finally receiving a call from his cell phone in which all she can hear is a man’s terrified cry, Isabel calls the police. But they aren’t interested. Men leave, they tell her. They leave all the time. Desperate to find her husband, Isabel races to his office. But instead of finding him, she finds herself in the middle of an FBI raid. Hours later, she awakens in the hospital with a severe concussion and a homicide detective by her bedside waiting to question her about Marcus Raine–the real Marcus Raine.

Now the only thing Isabel knows for sure is that her husband of five years is gone. Where is he and who is he are questions no one seems able to answer. But Isabel will not rest until she discovers the truth about the man she loves, even if it means risking everything–including her own life.

What did I think?

To be honest this book has left me totally confused. I finished ‘Die for You’ a few days ago, but thought I should wait to see if I could gain some perspective about this story before attempting this review. But here I am a few days later, and I’m still not sure about this one.

I’m not a new reader to Lisa Unger, having read ‘Black Out’ last year and really enjoying it. But ‘Die for You’ was a complete struggle to get through after the first few chapters. At first I sympathized with Isabel’s character—how horrible to not know where your husband is! But once the reader is let in on Marcus’ secret life, I couldn’t understand Isabel’s motivation to find her husband any longer. I get that she was looking for answers, but at what risk? To Isabel it didn’t matter as long as she could confront him about his deception.

Isabel’s journey to find Marcus is what propels the story forward. Since I couldn't understand Isabel’s reasoning to find him. I really didn't enjoy the rest of the book, and couldn’t wait to be finished. I also didn’t enjoy how the story skipped between first and third person POV. ‘Die for You’ also had too much introspective thoughts and not enough dialogue.

How many stars?



[Lisa Unger's Website]















Published by Shaye Areheart Books
ISBN 0307393976 (ISBN13: 9780307393975)
Hardcover: 320 pages






No comments:

Post a Comment