Up Coming Reviews


Currently Reading

Coming Soon

Coming Soon

Coming Soon

Coming Soon

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Chasing the Night by Iris Johansen


What's this one about?
A CIA agent's two-year-old child was stolen in the night as a brutal act of vengeance. Now, eight years later, the torment of Catherine Ling's missing child is something she awakens to every day. Her friends, family, and colleagues tell her to let go, move on, accept that her son is never coming back. But she can't. And won't. Ever. Catherine needs to find someone as driven and obsessed as she is to help her. And that person is Eve Duncan. She knows that Eve shares her nightmare, since closure is also something that eludes Eve after the disappearance of her daughter Bonnie. Now, Eve must use he talents as a forensic sculptor to use age progression as a way to help Catherine find her child. As Eve gets drawn further into Catherine's horror, she must face the looming demons of her own. Bonnie's killer is still out there. And a new killer is taunting Eve and Catherine at every turn. Is Catherine's son alive? Sometimes the killer indicates no. And sometimes, more horrifying, his answer is "yes…" As two women face the worst than any mother can face, Iris Johansen's latest thrill ride is a gut-wrenching journey into the darkest places of the soul.

What did I think?

When I read the plot summary on this book it sounded really interesting and I was really looking forward to reading it. Unfortunately, this book failed to take off for me. I found myself putting it down more often than picking it up as it just seemed to drag. As a result of this I ended up giving up half way through, which I RARELY do. I've never read a book by Iris Johansen until 'Chasing the Night' and this may have affected the rating as it's the 9th book in this series. I was more interested in the characters of Catherine, and Kelly than I was of Eve and Joe. Of what I read of this book I didn't feel the characters of Eve and Joe were crucial for the development of this book--yes, Eve's talents were necessary to help Catherine help find her son, but I feel that element could have been taken away and the story wouldn't have lacked any more than it already has. IF I had started reading this series with the first book maybe my rating would be different as I may have had more of an attachment to Eve and Joe. Maybe one day I'll be drawn back to Iris Johansen's Eve Duncan series but it won't be anytime soon.

How many stars?



[Author's Website]














Published by: St. Martin's Press 
ISBN 0312651198 (ISBN13: 9780312651190)
Hardcover: 384 pages

No comments:

Post a Comment